Saturday, February 16, 2013

PEWTER WITH THREE PEARS - getting close!


< detail

I think this is getting very close to being finished. I believe I will put it aside to let it dry for a few days and start it's "sister" painting. When I'm as close as this to finishing the second painting, I'll put final glazes on the backgrounds of both paintings to mellow them out.

I've got a little more than 22 hours into this one so far.  It's larger than my usual format so it's been interesting to work at this scale. I could get used to it. It's also on a 2" deep support (a 20 x 24 inch cradled wood panel) so I've included a bit of wrap-around background pattern on the sides which is a bit of a change for me. Sara Eyestone (curator of The Gallery Collection at La Posada de Santa Fe and mentor to many artists) wanted to see how that format would work with my style and I love not having to decide on an appropriate (yet inexpensive) frame! It's interesting seeing a vintage looking realism with a contemporary twist. I'm looking forward to seeing what she thinks!


No comments: