Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I've been busy, not just lazy...

I haven't posted in a week but that's not because I've been slackin'.

Here is one of the paintings that I did this week.  This one is a little larger that the previous ones but it's probably a simpler one.  





"Antler"
Transparent Watercolor on Twinrocker Paper
16" x 20"







I'm also doing a redo of a painting that I started on Saturday last.  I found out the hard way why you should let a watercolor dry overnight before removing masking fluid from the Twinrocker paper that I'm using!  I got anxious and started removing it too soon and the paper tore.  I mean it really pulled the surface off!  I was really bummed. But a lesson was learned.  Fortunate for me, I learned two lessons at the same time... you also can't use masking fluid over an area that has been painted with the Cadmium Red family!  Yup, just took the paint off almost to the paper!  WOW!  Won't do THAT again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I viewed your art today in Austin and passed your info on to Susan Sternberg. She is on a committee for art shows at the Dell Jewish Community Center in Austin and may contact you about showing your work. I work on 140 Arches wc paper, stretched (I know you don't like to stretch). I use masking fluid only on raw paper, then paint, then when dry rub out. I never leave the masking on longer than 15 - 20 hours, and if I can, I rub off as soon as it feels dry.
fellow wc friend, Richard Ewen,
rfewen@watercolors-of-france.com

J A Baker said...

That's pretty much the conclusion that I came to as well. Thanks for visiting my booth at Art City Austin.

Maybe I'll see you there again next year!