Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday and it's raining again!

We've had 10 days without rain recently and it's been too hot to paint outdoors. I've been wanting to hone my plein air skills but it's really unbearably hot and humid so I've had to resort to painting indoors.

I did the landscape in an earlier post from a photograph that I took earlier this year in New Mexico at a state park called "City of Rocks".

So! Until Fall arrives and the weather becomes more pleasant, I'll be painting indoors. This is not a bad thing, don't misunderstand me. I've been painting with a portrait group for the last 7 weeks and I've thouroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to do a lot more of those if I can find people to sit for them.

For now, though, I'll continue to paint things "from the land". I love painting things that we see every day. I picked up this branch from someone's back yard. Most of the tree was cloaked with lichens and ball moss and this branch had fallen during a stormy night. I'm sure that people are not happy to see their Live Oak trees covered with these parasitic plants but they make a wonderful painting!

I hope you enjoy this painting which was awarded first place in a show of contemporary art at the New Braunfels Art League in July.

"Fallen"
Acrylic on Gallery Wrap Canvas
(can be hung without a frame)
30" x 20"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your interest in joining Art Blogs 4 U - I will be delighted to add your details in due course, but I am afraid that the 3 month rule for your blog applies. I will add your name and details to the waiting list - I am sorry but I cannot make exceptions.

Your work is excellent and I look forward to adding your blog.

J A Baker said...

Thanks!

Judith