Saturday, February 7, 2009

Moving forward...

I've now finished the pencil overlay for the painting and it's been transferred to the paper.

I apologize for the (poor) scan of the pencil drawing on the painting.  It's very difficult to get a really good image of the drawing since it has to be done very lightly on the paper. I had to enhance the scans and piece the sections together to get the whole image into one file.  As the painting progresses, I will be able to get better images (less white paper and more tone for the camera to record) and it will, hopefully, give you a better idea of the progress.

I'm using Arches Cold Press 300 lb paper so that I can put in a nice wash background on it without any buckling.  The surface of Arches watercolor paper works well when I have to mask out the "whitest" areas of the painting, in this case the antler and the fence post.  I may mask out all of the subject since I'm planning to do some "spatter and smear" texture on the background... similar to the background on "Antler", the large painting that the client originally cited as their favorite.

I think I'll handle the background more as a vignette on this painting though...more like the background on the sketch, instead of a full background.  It should give the painting a slightly lighter feel.

I'm now looking forward to starting to paint!

1 comment:

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

I am so happy to see you getting back to your art. All is well with the world!. I can't wait to see how you finish it out.